Theatre Arts (MFA)
Master of Fine Arts in Theatre Arts (TA MFA)
Unit: College of Arts and Sciences (GA)
Department: Fine Arts
Program Webpage: louisville.edu/theatrearts
The Theatre Arts department fosters creativity, collaboration, discipline, and artistry. It embraces the theatre as a means of creative expression, cultural understanding, and social development. All students are exposed to the diversity of multicultural theatre. The African American Theatre Program, founded in 1993, is integral to the department.
In addition to the MFA in Theatre Arts, a Graduate Certificate in African American Theatre also is offered.
- Evidence of a Bachelor’s Degree and 2.75 cumulative grade point average (GPA).
- Audition at the University of Louisville or at a regional or national conference site
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work
- General Test score on the Graduate Record Examination
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample
- Department committee reviews application materials and makes a recommendation to the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies
- All applicants are automatically considered for Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantships that include full tuition, stipend, and health insurance for the academic year (August–May).
MFA Candidates must complete the following course requirements. Students are paired with a faculty advisor and graduate committee to review their progress at the end of each semester, evaluating coursework, professionalism, performance projects, and any GTA responsibilities.
|Graduate Acting I-V (6 semesters, 3 credits each)|
|Graduate Movement I-IV (4 semesters, 3 credits each)|
|Graduate Voice I-IV (4 semesters, 3 credits each)|
|Actors Theatre of Louisville Workshop|
|Special Topics in Theatre (Tools for Multicultural Theatre)|
|Approaching African-American Theatre|
|Introduction to Graduate Study in Theatre|
|Independent Study in Community Service|
Elective (at the 600+ level, outside of Theatre Arts, minimum 3 credits)
|MFA Performance Project I|
|Minimum Total Hours||72|