Guidelines for DMD Admission by Transfer
Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified students who are currently enrolled in a CODA accredited dental school may be considered for transfer. Transfers are considered for the D1 or D2 year only. The candidate must be in good standing and rank in the upper 30% of their class with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Consideration will be based on the quality of the candidate, resources, and space availability. The DMD Admissions Committee will interview eligible candidates and make recommendations for admission to the Dean. If accepted, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will determine appropriate placement in the program based and will assure that the student is scheduled to earn at least one-third of the credits toward the DMD degree at ULSD.
- Completed University of Louisville School of Dentistry Application form.
- Background Information Form.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (both pre-dental and dental).
- Dental Admissions Test scores
- National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Part I or INDBE scores if appropriate.
- Current resume listing all undergraduate and graduate employment, research, and community service.
- Official description of the courses completed in the curriculum of their current dental school.
- Letter from the Dean (or designee) of the current dental school that verifies that the student is in good standing, reports the student’s GPA and Class Rank (on a yearly basis), and acknowledges if the student has ever been on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation.
Pre-dental college and DAT performance must meet or exceed the minimum standards of the entering class to which the transfer candidate is applying. The candidate’s credentials must also fulfill the University of Louisville School of Dentistry’s admission requirements regarding undergraduate courses and credit hours. All undergraduate course work must have been completed at an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university. The student will be evaluated for his/her performance in the current dental curriculum. The candidate must have successfully completed, at the time of the requested transfer, a dental curriculum that is equivalent and consistent with the curriculum of ULSD in content, quantity, and quality. The ULSD Office of Academic Affairs, along with appropriate course directors, will review the submitted curriculum for equivalency with the ULSD DMD curriculum.
If the transfer candidate fails to meet any of the previously stated conditions, the Admissions Committee may elect to end the process. If the Committee chooses to pursue the application, an interview will be scheduled. Additional qualifying written and practical examinations may be required for further evaluation. The Admissions Committee will forward their recommendation to the Dean. An accepted student will be placed in a class in the regular curriculum, at a level designated by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
The transfer student must satisfy all competency standards as required by the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. The candidate should be aware that, due to curricular differences, he/she/they may also be required to repeat a dental curriculum year and the anticipated graduation date may be delayed.
All application materials should be submitted directly to:
Office of Admissions and Student Affairs
University of Louisville, School of Dentistry
501 S. Preston St.
Louisville, KY 40202
All documentation must be received no later than January 1 of the year of desired transfer.