Guidelines for DMD Admission by Transfer
Under exceptional circumstances, highly qualified students who are currently enrolled in an ADA accredited dental school may be considered for transfer. The candidate must be in good standing and rank in the upper 30% of their class with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
Consideration will be based on the quality of the candidate, resources, and space availability. The DMD Admissions Committee will interview eligible candidates and make recommendations for admission to the Dean. If accepted, the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will determine appropriate placement in the program based and will assure that the student is scheduled to earn at least one-third of the credits toward the DMD degree at ULSD.
- Competed University of Louisville School of Dentistry Application form.
- Residency Determination Form.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended (both pre-dental and dental).
- Dental Admissions Test scores
- National Board Dental Examination Part I scores, if taken.
- Current resume listing all undergraduate and graduate employment, research, and community service.
- Official description of the courses completed in the curriculum of their current dental school.
- Letter from the Dean (or designate) of the current dental school that verifies that the student is in good standing, the student’s GPA and Class Rank (on a yearly basis, if possible), and whether the student has ever been on academic or disciplinary probation.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation.
Pre-dental college and DAT performance must meet or exceed the minimum standards of the entering class to which the transfer candidate is applying. The candidate’s credentials must also fulfill the University of Louisville School of Dentistry’s admission requirements regarding undergraduate courses and credit hours. All undergraduate course work must have been completed at an accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university. The student will be evaluated relative to his/her performance in their current dental school. The candidate must have completed, at the time of the requested transfer, a dental curriculum that is consistent with the curriculum of ULSD in content, quantity, and quality. The ULSD Office of Academic Affairs, along with appropriate course directors, will review the submitted curricula for congruency with the ULSD curriculum.
If the transfer candidate fails to meet any of the previously stated conditions, the Admissions Committee may elect to end the process at this point. If the Committee chooses to pursue the application, an on-site interview will be scheduled. Additional qualifying written and practical examinations may be required. The Admissions Committee will forward their recommendation to the Dean. An accepted student will be placed into a class in the regular curriculum, at a level designated by the Associate Dean for Pre-doctoral Education and approved by the involved course directors.
The transfer student must fulfill all standards of competency as defined by the University of Louisville School of Dentistry. The candidate should be aware that, due to curricular differences, he/she may be required to repeat a year and their anticipated graduation date may be delayed.
All application materials should be submitted directly to:
Office of Student Affairs
University of Louisville, School of Dentistry
501 S. Preston St.
Louisville, KY 40202
All documentation must be received no later than January 1 of the year of desired transfer.