Policies Governing Graduate Courses

Graduate Students Taking 500-Level Courses

Courses with numbers from 500 to 599 may be open to both advanced undergraduate and graduate students and can be taken by graduate students for graduate credit. Those numbered 600 and above are primarily for graduate students.

Graduate students who wish to receive graduate credit for 500-level courses must complete additional requirements (such as additional written work or oral presentations) that are more stringent than those required of undergraduates. These additional requirements for graduate credit must be specified in the course syllabi. The student's completion of graduate requirements must be verified in writing by the instructor if graduate credit is requested after the course is completed.

Not all 500-level courses are available for graduate credit. The student is advised to consult his/her department for information on any particular 500-level course.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses

An undergraduate student with special permission of the unit dean and the instructor in the course may register in a 500-level courses at the graduate level or in 600-level graduate courses. Such courses will satisfy requirements toward the undergraduate degree and therefore cannot be used for subsequent graduate credit. The student must be registered for at least one undergraduate course if requesting to enroll in a graduate course.

In rare cases, undergraduate students at the University of Louisville who are within six (6) semester hours of completing the baccalaureate requirements and who are enrolled in a graduate course may obtain graduate credit. This can only occur if the course has not been used to satisfy part of the baccalaureate requirements, and if the recommendation of the chairman of the department involved and the approval of the unit dean are obtained.

Accelerated Bachelor's/Master's Option

Undergraduate students enrolled in accelerated programs are eligible to register for graduate-level coursework. Students must apply for admission to the program no later than the end of the junior year to be eligible enroll in graduate coursework in their final year of the program.

The student may take a maximum of nine (9) credit hours for graduate credit, which will also apply to the requirements for the baccalaureate degree. Those nine (9) credit hours of graduate credit must be transferred to the student's graduate record after the student completes one semester as a graduate student. See actual degree program for further requirements.

Continuing Studies and Post-baccalaureate Students

Students enrolled through Continuing Studies are not eligible to enroll in graduate level courses.

Post-baccalaureate students who wish to take only graduate level courses should seek admission as a non-degree graduate student by applying through the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies. Students who wish to transfer coursework to a graduate degree must take the coursework as a non-degree graduate student or be admitted to a graduate degree program at the time of the request.