Admission to the College of Business
College of Business
Harry Frazier Hall
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Admission to the College of Business
Students are admitted to the College of Business on either a degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking basis. High school visitors, visiting students from other institutions, auditors, post baccalaureate students, and students admitted as special students are considered non-degree seeking. They will be notified by the Office of Admissions of their status and of the conditions of their enrollment at the time they are accepted. All other students are considered degree-seeking.
Students planning to earn degrees from the College of Business must be degree-seeking in order for the credits they have earned to apply toward their degrees. Students remain in a degree-seeking status until they graduate, transfer to another college or university, or are suspended/dismissed.
Freshman admission to the College of Business is granted to those meeting the following requirements:
- An ACT composite score of 25 or above (SAT 1130 or above), a high school GPA of 3.0 or above, and an ACT Mathematics score of 23 or above (SAT 570 or above)
- An ACT composite score of 22, 23 or 24 (SAT 1020-1120), a high school GPA of 3.3 or above, and an ACT Mathematics score of 23 or above (SAT 570 or above)
Students who seek admission to the College with credit for work taken at another institution, or in another college or school in the University of Louisville, are transfer students. Such applicants may be admitted in good standing, in conditional status, or denied admission.
Admission in Good Standing
- Students with less than 15 transferable hours are considered in a similar fashion to freshman students and must meet the admission requirements for new freshmen and have a minimum college GPA of 2.8.
- Students with 15 or more transferable credit hours must have both:
- Earned a 2.8 cumulative GPA (students with an established UofL GPA may not include grades for coursework at another institution in consideration for admission); and
- Completed the following courses with a letter grade of B-minus or better:
Admission in Conditional Status
Students who have a 2.8 university GPA, 15 or more credit hours completed, and a B-minus or better in two of the three courses listed above, can petition for admission on an exception basis. Students admitted under this petition process will be admitted in conditional status.
Students admitted in conditional standing must be advised, and are restricted to 13 credit hours per semester. Students admitted in conditional standing must earn a 2.0 cumulative GPA or a 2.5 semester GPA following admission to avoid suspension as consistent with the COB policy on Academic Status. Students in conditional standing will become students in good standing when their University GPA is 2.0 or above after the next semester completed.
Admission in Good Standing
Admission in good standing requires:
• A grade point average of 2.8 or better on a 4.0 scale based on all work attempted for college credit. (If previously enrolled at UofL, GPA will be calculated only on UofL work attempted for college credit.) (See "Transfer Students" in the Admission section of this catalog);
• Good standing in the institution of last attendance, including eligibility to return to that institution;
• Full disclosure of previous attendance in another school or college of UofL and/or any other post-secondary institution.
Transfer applicants to the College of Business with less than 24 transferable credits from another accredited institution will be required to submit college transcripts, a final high school transcript, and ACT or SAT scores. In addition to meeting the 2.8 transfer college GPA, they must meet all new freshmen requirements for COB applicants with the following exception. Students meeting the high school GPA and composite ACT or SAT requirements, but not meeting the math score requirement can be admitted if they have successfully completed a college math class at the college algebra level or higher.
Transfer applicants to the College of Business with 24 or more transferable credits from accredited institutions must have a 2.8 college GPA and have completed the following courses with a letter grade of B-minus or better:
- MATH 111 College Algebra - QR (or equivalent) or completion of MATH 180
- ACCT 201 (or equivalent)
- Either ECON 201 orECON 202 (or equivalent)
Admission in Conditional Status
Students who have a 2.8 university GPA, 24 or more transferable credits, and a B-minus or better in two of the three courses listed above can petition for admission on an exception basis. Students admitted under this petition process will be admitted in conditional status. Students admitted in conditional standing must be advised, and are restricted to 13 credit hours per semester. Students admitted in conditional standing must earn a 2.0 cumulative GPA following admission to avoid suspension as consistent with the COB policy on Academic Status. Students in conditional standing will become students in good standing when their University GPA is 2.0 or above after the next semester completed.
Students whose last attendance at UofL resulted in academic suspension must petition for readmission. (See section covering College of Business policy on Academic Status.) Students who were suspended from another institution and/or another fully accredited Business program must petition for admission. Students ineligible for admission in the College because of disciplinary action in another institution or another school of this University may be ruled eligible for admission to the College by petitioning to the College of Business Undergraduate Studies Committee. Students who violate the full disclosure requirement will be referred to the COB Undergraduate Studies Committee for determination of a mandatory withdrawal from the College for a period stipulated by the committee.
Additional Transfer Requirements
To be eligible for a degree from the College of Business, students transferring must:
- Complete at least 30 of the final 36 semester hours applicable to the degree as a student enrolled in the University of Louisville.
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours in the declared major at UofL.
- Complete at least 48 hours of coursework numbered 300 or higher. Work from a two-year or community college will not apply to this requirement. For this reason, students planning to transfer to this College from a community college or two-year college are advised to complete only the lower level portion of the College's general education requirements prior to transferring.
- Must earn a 2.0 University GPA and a 2.0 GPA in the major.
Students who have transferred to the College must meet with an academic advisor of the COB Reinhardt Academic Center for assistance in evaluating their records for transfer credit.
The College of Business recognizes appropriate coursework done at other accredited universities and colleges and accepts that work according to the principles set forth in the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers Transfer Credit Practices Guide and state law. Transfer work that is college level, academic in nature, and earned at appropriately accredited institutions will be accepted and posted as credit earned (i.e., with no grade) consistent with policies in effect for resident students. Students must be aware that majors and/or programs may require a minimum of a B-minus or better for certain degree requirements. Students admitted to the COB from other fully accredited institutions will receive credit for academic courses, but the applicability of transfer credit toward a business degree will be determined by the COB Undergraduate Studies Committee. Courses will be evaluated not only based on content but also as to level. Course level is determined by lower division (numbered 100-299) and upper division (numbered 300-499). A transfer business course must have been taken at the same level as the equivalent course at the University of Louisville to meet degree requirements.
Courses that meet general education requirements may be transferred under course equivalencies established in the Office of Transfer Services. In cases where no equivalency is established, the Office of Transfer Services will direct students to the university academic department, school or college where similar courses are offered for evaluation of transfer credits.
Visiting students from other institutions who wish to take courses in the College of Business may enroll in non-degree seeking status and must follow the procedure outlined in this catalog. Visiting students are not eligible for COB co-ops and must meet all prerequisite requirements.
College of Business students will be allowed to visit other colleges or universities only with written permission of the Reinhardt Academic Center (Frazier Hall, room 024).
Considerations include academic standing (students must be in good academic standing), residency requirement, course equivalency, and number of course credit hours. Total course load cannot exceed 18 hours. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in loss of credit.
Persons not eligible for admission to the College, or not seeking admission for the purpose of taking courses for credit, may request permission to take courses as auditors. Permission of the Department Chair is required to enroll as an auditor. All persons who audit classes must pay the regular fees. Persons whose enrollment in the College was limited to audited courses may not change to a credit basis for any course they are auditing. Regularly enrolled students may also enroll in classes as auditors. Students may not enroll in audit status during the early registration period.