Electrical Engineering (PhD)
The PhD degree program is intended for persons having an accredited masters degree in electrical engineering. Students interested in the PhD degree program should consult the Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The University of Louisville is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award doctoral degrees.
The award of a Doctor of Philosophy degree indicates that a student has attained mastery of a field and has demonstrated the capacity to perform independent scholarly research. Candidates for the Doctor of Philosophy degree must have a minimum final cumulative grade point average of 3.00 for all academic coursework attempted in Graduate Studies.
The requirements for the Doctor of Philosophy degree are explained in more detail in the Degree Requirements section of this catalog.
The admission standards for the PhD program in electrical engineering are as follows:
- All admission applications for the program shall include:
- A completed application for the Graduate School
- An application fee
- Results from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- At least two letters of recommendation
- Official transcript(s) for all previous post-secondary coursework. All transcripts not in English must be certified as authentic and translated verbatim into English.
- The minimum degree requirement for admission is an accredited master's degree in electrical engineering or closely related field.
- The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 or above (on a 4.00 scale).
- The successful applicant will typically have a GRE combined Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning score of 295 or above.
- International students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency by either TOEFL/IELTS score or demonstration of a degree award from an acceptable English language institution. The successful applicant will typically have a total TOEFL score of 80 or higher or overall IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
It is expected that the student will complete a master's degree before being admitted to the PhD Program.
The minimum curricular requirements for the doctoral program are:
|Courses - Post Bac|
|Approved Master’s Level Course Work||30|
|Technical Electives (minimum of 15 credit hours) 1||15|
|ECE 700: Dissertation Research in EE||15|
|Minimum Total Hours||60|
Candidates for the Doctor of Philosophy degree must have a minimum final cumulative grade point average of 3.00 for all academic work attempted in Graduate Studies
Technical Electives can be ECE or non-ECE courses. Technical Electives must be approved by the department