Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies (CERT)
The Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies graduate certificate is a 15 credit hour program for students who have completed a BS or BA degree in any field. Students with no prior coursework in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies may be required to take additional classes in preparation for admission to the certificate program.
Admission to the graduate certificate in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies is open to any student who has completed a BA or BS degree with a 3.0 overall GPA. Students may pursue the certificate outside the framework of a graduate degree program or in conjunction with a graduate degree program in another University of Louisville department.
Students wishing to pursue the certificate must apply for admission to the Graduate School by:
- Completing the online graduate application and submitting the application fee, and
- Submitting an official transcript reflecting previous degrees earned.
Students must also send directly to Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies a one-to-two page letter of intent, describing how the Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies graduate certificate will further their personal or professional goals.
Students wishing to pursue the graduate certificate in conjunction with a graduate degree program in another University of Louisville department should first apply and be admitted to the degree program before applying for admission to the Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies graduate certificate program.
- Students must complete a total of 15 credit hours in courses approved for graduate credit in accordance with the policies of the Graduate School, approved by the Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies director of graduate studies.
- One course among the 15 credit hours must be WGST 601, WGST 602, or WGST 603.
- At least two courses must be at the 600-level.
- Courses must be chosen from both humanities and social sciences disciplines, with consultation of Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies director of graduate studies.
- A single course may satisfy more than one requirement.
- Coursework toward the graduate certificate in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies may also count toward the student's graduate degree.
|Required Coursework for the Graduate Certificate in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies|
|Choose one of the following:||3|
|Feminist Research in the Humanities|
|Feminist Research and Methods in the Social Sciences|
|History of U.S. Feminisms|
|Choose coursework from the following:||12|
|Gender and Popular Music - WR|
|Language, Race, Class, and Gender|
|Feminist Philosophical Literature|
|Francophone Women Writers - WR|
|Topics in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies: Humanities|
|Women's Personal Narratives|
|The Body in Popular Media|
|Gender, Race and Culture in Health Care|
|Independent Study: Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies-Humanities|
|Advanced Topics in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies-Humanities|
|Social Science Courses|
|U.S. Social Justice Movements|
|Woman and Sport|
|Women in Developing Countries - WR|
|Topics in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies: Social Sciences - WR|
|Gender, Race, Work, and Welfare|
|Seminar in the Sociology of Disabilities|
|Feminism in Western Civilization|
|Women in the Twentieth Century in Europe and the U.S.|
|History of American Sexualities|
|Women in 19th-Century America|
|Women's Health in Africa|
|Black Women's Voices|
|Southern Women: Black and White|
|Independent Study: Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies-Social Sciences|
|Advanced Topics in Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies-Social Sciences|
|Minimum Total Hours||15|