Environmental Engineering (CERT)
Graduate Certificate in Environmental Engineering (ENVECEESP)
Unit: Speed School of Engineering (GS)
Department: Civil and Environmental Engineering
Program Webpage: louisville.edu/speed/academics/programs/certificates
Students interested in increasing their knowledge of Environmental Engineering can take a series of courses and earn a certificate. The certificate program offers courses in the following disciplines:
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
This is a certificate program, not a degree program. The Graduate Certificate in Environmental Engineering is awarded only with the completion of a graduate degree program (MEng, MS, or PhD) at Speed School of Engineering.
Admission to the Speed School of Engineering division of higher studies (MEng) or the graduate school (MS or PhD) in Engineering.
All admission applications for the graduate certificate program shall include the following:
- Application for the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies;
- Application fee;
- Official transcript(s) for all previous post-secondary coursework—all transcripts not in English must be certified as authentic and translated verbatim into English;
- A baccalaureate degree (or equivalent) from an accredited institution or current enrollment in an undergraduate Speed School program.
All students enrolled in a graduate certificate program are expected to make steady and satisfactory progress toward the completion of the certificate. Students who are not enrolled for a period of more than 12 months will be considered to have withdrawn from the certificate program. Students who seek to return after such a period of time must contact the graduate program director.
The following certificate requirements are mandatory for all graduate certificate candidates:
- The certificate program of study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy certificate requirements.
- Completion of a graduate degree program at Speed School of Engineering (MEng, MS, or PhD).
- Graduate certificate students must take all certificate coursework at the University of Louisville. No transfer credits will be accepted toward a graduate certificate.
|Environmental Engineering Electives (500-level, see below) *||0-6|
|Environmental Engineering Electives (600-level, see below) *||6-12|
|Minimum Total Hours||12|
*Students must complete 12 credit hours, with at least 6 hours at the 600 level. Courses are to be selected from the following lists. All prerequisites must be met. Graduate courses not shown in the lists below require approval from the Certificate Program Director.
Certificate courses do not constitute a degree program, but may be applied toward MEng, MS, or PhD degree requirements.
Completion of a graduate degree program at Speed School of Engineering (MEng, MS, or PhD).
Approved Environmental Engineering Elective Courses
|Approved 500-level Environmental Engineering Electives||0-6|
Students may take up to 6 hours from the following:
|Open Channel Hydraulics|
|Environmental Processes and Systems|
|Chemical Engineering Safety and Health|
|Industrial Waste Management|
|Sustainable Energy Systems|
|Air Pollution Control|
|Approved 600-level courses:||6-12|
Students must take at least 6 hours from the following:
|Water Resources Systems|
|Surface Water Quality Modeling|
|Green Engineering & Sustainable Design|
|Special Topics in Civil Engineering (Advanced Environmental Processes & Systems)|
|Special Topics in Civil Engineering (Air Quality)|
|Special Topics in Civil Engineering (Strean & Wetland Restoration; Wetland Design)|
|Transport Phenomena I|
|Advanced Stagewise Processes|
|Advanced Process Control|
|Special Topics in Chemical Engineering|
|Advanced Ecosystems Ecology|
|Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning|
|Solar Energy Applications|
|Total Minimum Hours||12|