Theatre Arts (MFA)
- Students must submit an online graduate application and submit all required documentation to the Graduate School.
- Evidence of a Bachelor’s Degree and 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA).
- Audition at the University of Louisville, at a regional or national conference site, or through a video submission
- Transcripts of all undergraduate and (if applicable) graduate work
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement (500-800 words, double-spaced)
- Department committee reviews application materials and makes a recommendation to the Graduate School.
- All applicants are automatically considered for Graduate Teaching or Research Assistantships that include full tuition, stipend, and health insurance for the academic year (August–May).
MFA candidates must complete the course requirements listed below. Students are paired with a faculty advisor to review their progress at the end of each semester, evaluating coursework, professionalism, performance projects, and any GTA responsibilities.
|Acting for Camera
|Graduate Acting I
|Graduate Acting II
|Graduate Acting III
|Graduate Acting IV
|Graduate Acting V
|Graduate Movement I
|Graduate Movement II
|Graduate Movement III
|Graduate Movement IV
|Graduate Voice I
|Graduate Voice II
|Graduate Voice III
|Graduate Voice IV
Theatre Arts Elective (at the 500+ level, minimum 3 credit hours)
|Playscript Interpretation - WR
|Special Topics in Theatre
|Approaching African-American Theatre
|Introduction to Graduate Study in Theatre
|Independent Study in Community Service
Elective (at the 600+ level, outside of Theatre Arts, minimum 3 credit hours)
|MFA Performance Project I
|Minimum Total Hours