Data Science (CERT)
Graduate Certificate in Data Science (DTMGCDMO)
Unit: Speed School of Engineering (GS)
Department: Computer Engineering and Computer Science
Program Webpage: louisville.edu/speed/computer/graduate-studies/dataMining
This program can be completed in a traditional classroom format or entirely online.
To address the need for trained professionals in the interdisciplinary field of data mining, the Department of Computer Engineering and Computer Science and the Department of Mathematics faculty have developed a joint certificate program in data mining. The certificate will consist of 18 credit hours, with three required courses from Computer Engineering and Computer Science and three elective courses selected from a list of relevant elective courses in Computer Engineering and Computer Science and Mathematics.
The admission standards for the Graduate Certificate program in Data Science are as follows:
- All admission applications for the Graduate Certificate program shall include:
- A completed application for the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies
- Application fee
- Official transcript(s) for all previous post-secondary coursework. All transcripts not in English must be certified as authentic and translated verbatim into English.
- The minimum requirement for admission is the baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution or current enrollment in an undergraduate Speed School program.
- The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or above (on a 4.00 scale).
- International students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency. Applicants must either submit an official TOEFL or IELTS score, or demonstrate a degree award from an acceptable English language institution. The successful applicant will typically have a total TOEFL score of 80 or higher or an overall IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
Students can enroll in a Graduate Certificate program either as a non-degree seeking student or as a student simultaneously enrolled in a graduate degree program and this graduate certificate program. Students who wish to earn a graduate degree must meet all admission criteria for the degree program.
All students enrolled in a graduate certificate program are expected to make steady and satisfactory progress toward the completion of the certificate. Students who are not enrolled for a period of more than 12 months will be considered to have withdrawn from the certificate program. Students who seek to return after such a period of time must contact the graduate program director.
The following certificate requirements are mandatory of all Graduate Certificate candidates:
- The Certificate Program of Study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy certificate requirements.
- Graduate certificate students must take all certificate course work at the University of Louisville. No transfer credits will be accepted toward a graduate certificate.
|CECS 535||Introduction to Databases||3|
|or CECS 536||Data Management and Analysis|
|CECS 632||Data Mining||3|
|CECS 635||Data Mining with Linear Models||3|
|Select three of the following:||9|
|Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems|
|Experimental Design in Engineering|
|Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms|
|Web Mining for E-Commerce and Information Retrieval|
|Simulation and Modeling of Discrete Systems|
|Introduction to Bioinformatics|
|Special Topics in Computer Engineering and Computer Science (Legal Issues in Data Mining)|
|Special Topics in Computer Engineering and Computer Science (BIG DATA: Document-oriented DB)|
|Special Topics in Computer Engineering and Computer Science (Related Data Mining)|
|Statistical Data Analysis - WR|
|Minimum Total Hours||18|
The Certificate Program of Study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy certificate requirements.
Graduate certificate students must take all certificate course work at the University of Louisville. No transfer credits will be accepted toward a graduate certificate.