Mechanical Engineering (PhD)
The admission standards for the PhD program in mechanical engineering are as follows:
- All admission applications for the program shall include:
- A completed graduate application for the Graduate School,
- An application fee,
- Results from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE),
- At least two letters of recommendation, and
- Official transcript(s) for all previous post-secondary coursework. All transcripts not in English must be certified as authentic and translated verbatim into English.
- The minimum requirement for admission is a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution or current enrollment in an undergraduate Speed School program.
- The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 or above and a graduate grade point average of 3.25 or above (on a 4.0 scale)
- The successful applicant will typically have a GRE Combined Verbal and Quantitative Reasoning score of 302 or above.
- International students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency by either TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo score or demonstration of a degree awarded from an acceptable English language institution. The successful applicant will typically have a TOEFL score of 80 or higher or overall IELTS score of 6.5 or higher or a Duolingo score of 105 or higher.
Normally, it is expected that the student will complete a master's degree before being admitted to the PhD program. However, qualified applicants may be admitted directly to the doctoral program after receiving a baccalaureate degree. These students will be required to complete an additional 30 credit hours of coursework at the 500 and 600 level under an individual plan developed in conjunction with the department's Director of Graduate Studies. Also, remedial work may be specified for those applicants who, in the opinion of the faculty, do not have a sufficient background.
The minimum curricular requirements for the doctoral program are:
|Master's Degree or Approved Master’s-Level Course Work||30|
|Technical Electives 1||15|
|ME 700||Dissertation Research in Mechanical Engineering||15|
|Minimum Total Hours||60|
Candidates for the doctor of philosophy degree must have a minimum final cumulative grade point average of 3.00 for all academic work attempted in graduate studies.