Health Professions Education (MS)
The required credentials for admission include:
- Admission to Graduate School
- Complete the online application to the Graduate School.
- Unconditional admission requires a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 for all coursework taken at the undergraduate and/or graduate degree-granting institution; or a terminal professional degree (e.g., MD, DO, DMD, DNP, PhD, EdD).
- Applicants with a GPA less than 2.5 at the undergraduate/graduate level may inquiry about conditional admission
- Only official degree-bearing transcripts must be submitted by the applicant using appropriate methods (e.g., Parchment or National Clearinghouse) or be on file in the Office of Faculty Affairs (for applicants internal to UofL) when applying. Applicants should submit their most senior degree earned or that they are in the progress of earning.
- International applicants with transcripts that are not in English, in addition to submitting official copies of native language records, must also submit a notarized, verbatim translation in English prepared by an appropriate university or government official. The records must show both the degree granted and all coursework taken during the course of study. Applicants who are submitting transcripts from outside the United States must verify their records by submitting them to one of the following organizations: World Education Services (WES), Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), and other NACES approved evaluators found here https://www.naces.org/members.
- Students for whom English is not their primary language must show English language proficiency by successfully completing one of the following:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination – minimum score: 6.5
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination – minimum scores: 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, 213 on the computer-based TOEFL or 80 or higher on the internet-based TOEFL
- Duolingo English Test with Subscores examination – minimum score of 105 and exam must have been taken after January 1, 2020
- Note: International students who have earned a degree from an accredited college or university in the U.S. are not required to complete the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo.
- Current Resume/CV
- Personal goal statement written by the applicant that is a clear, substantive description of your goals within health professions education (approx. 1-2 pages)
- Two letters of recommendation
|HPE Core 1|
|LEAD 607||Principles of Educational Leadership||3|
|LEAD 650||Evaluation & Assessment in Health Professions Education||3|
|LEAD 665||Foundations of Health Professions Education||3|
|LEAD 675||Teaching and Learning in Health Professions Education||3|
|LEAD 676||Instructional Strategies in Health Professions Education||3|
|LEAD 685||Evidence-based Practice in HPE||3|
|LEAD 666||Program Development & Assessment in Higher Education||3|
|or LEAD 600||Introduction to Research Methods and Statistics|
|LEAD 694||Diversity in Higher Education||3|
|HPE Core + Ed Core|
|Electives* Choose 6 hours from approved list||6|
|LEAD 697||Organizational Improvement in Higher Education||3|
|Minimum Total Hours||33|
1 Mid-Point Assessment: Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA (no grade less than a "B") in HPE specific courses to remain in the program.
|LEAD 600||Introduction to Research Methods and Statistics||3|
|LEAD 601||Applied Statistics||3|
|LEAD 602||Survey Research and Attitude Measurement||3|
|LEAD 660||Diversity and Inclusion||3|
|LEAD 661||Adult & Organizational Learning||3|
|LEAD 668||Academic Advising||3|
|LEAD 670||Instructional Strategies||3|
|LEAD 678||American College and University||3|
|LEAD 681||The Philosophy of Higher Education||3|
|LEAD 683||College Teaching||3|
|LEAD 687||Education Policy & Equity||3|
Exit Assessment: A minimum of 33 credit hours with an overall grade point average of 3.0, and no more than two grades of C.