Exercise Physiology (MS)
General Program Information
Students who complete the Master of Science degree in Exercise Physiology are prepared to pursue a number of career options. Graduates from our program have continued their education by completing the PhD degree in fields such as exercise physiology, physiology, biochemistry, while others continue to the MD. Many students have pursued careers in allied health fields such as nursing and physical therapy as well as in such fields as aviation physiology, cardiac rehabilitation, corporate wellness, and ergonomics.
Because many of our students seek to work in the fields of cardiac rehabilitation and corporate wellness, the curriculum is structured to satisfy the preliminary requirements for certification as "exercise technologist" or "exercise specialist" as set by the American College of Sports Medicine. The curriculum provides students the necessary knowledge base and coursework to satisfy entrance into the certification process (which is under the control of the American College of Sports Medicine and requires both a written and practical exam).
- Earning an undergraduate major (exercise science, kinesiology, physical therapy, medicine, physiology, nursing, biology, chemistry, etc.) with a Grade-Point Average ≥2.75 on a 4-point scale
- Completion of all prerequisite courses from the following list with a grade ≥3.0 on a 4-point scale: Exercise Physiology; Biomechanics/Structural Kinesiology; Anatomy & Physiology (minimum of 6 credit hours)
- A resume where candidates will describe the experience they have accumulated in the fields of exercise science, exercise physiology, sport science, and/or strength and conditioning and a personal statement (500 words or less) where candidates will explain their interest in the program and professional objectives.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- All applicants for whom English is a second language must also submit official TOEFL scores of 79 or higher on the internet-based test, 213 or higher on the computer-based test. English proficiency can also be met by submitting official IELTS scores of at least 6.5 overall band score from the academic module exam or official Duolingo overall score of 105.
- Following review of materials listed above, eligible candidates will be invited to an interview with the selection committee where they will be provided with information about the program and will further discuss the content of their application.
|HSS 506||Athlete Monitoring and Data Management||3|
|HSS 530||Nutrition and Athletic Performance||3|
|HSS 604||Research Methods in HSS||3|
|EXP 501||Applied Exercise Physiology||3|
|EXP 503||Clinical Exercise Physiology||3|
|EXP 600||Exercise Biochemistry||3|
|EXP 601||Laboratory Methods in Exercise Physiology||3|
|EXP 605||Human Physiology||3|
|EXP 607||Neuromuscular Exercise Physiology||3|
|EXP 608||Strength and Conditioning I||3|
|EXP 611||Advanced Cardiorespiratory Physiology with ECG||3|
|Capstone Courses (select one):||6|
|Exercise Physiology Internship|
|Minimum Total Hours||39|