School Social Work (RANK1)
Rank 1 programs are not degree programs.
The Rank 1 program in School Social Work includes the School Social Work Specialization. It is designed for the Advanced Practitioner P-12.
Rank 1 programs are planned graduate level programs designed for Kentucky teachers seeking rank change for salary purposes. They are recognized only in the state of Kentucky. By state regulation, Rank 1 status is sixty (60) credit hours of approved graduate credit including a Master's degree.
Students in this Rank-1 program are required to satisfy/provide the following:
- Admission to School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies
- Signed Professional Code of Ethics/Technology User Agreement
- Completion of Official Program along with School Social Work Specialization program sheet.
Students may apply to the program by first going to the School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies website. Admission requirements include the following credentials:
- Teaching certificate
- TOEFL (Students holding a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution in the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.)
- There may be additional admission requirements, depending on the Rank I program that you select. Please contact the Teaching and Learning Department for specific information.
- Official transcripts with a GPA of 2.75 in the Bachelor's degree and a GPA of 3.0 in the Master's degree.
- Applicants who have attended a college or university outside of the United States are also required to submit an evaluation of their transcript through either WES (World Education Services) or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators). Please note that transcript evaluations can sometimes take several weeks.
Please have transcripts sent to:
School of Interdisciplinary and Graduate Studies
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
If transcripts are sent electronically, please have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kent School of Social Work
Dr. Andy Frey (502) 852-0431
or CEHD Education Advising and Student Services (502) 852-5597
Rank I Program in School Social Work
|Inquiry (Critical Thinker)|
|SW 668||Advanced Research Practice I||3|
|SW 669||Advanced Research Practice II||3|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Academic and Behavior Response to Intervention|
|Psychometrics and Affective Instrument Development|
|Principles of Educational Leadership|
|Select one of the following: 1|
|EDSP 545||Exceptional Children in the Regular Classroom||3|
|or EDSP 540||Introduction to Exceptional Children|
|Action (Problem Solver)|
|EDSP 669||Single Subject Research Methods and Designs||3|
|Area of Emphasis|
|Select at least 15 credit hours:||15|
|School Social Work: Policy and Practice 2|
|Applied Behavior Analysis 2|
|Death & Grief|
|Learning Theory and Human Growth and Development|
|Select 3 credit hours:||3|
|Foundations of School Counseling|
|Prevention & Treatment of Substance Abuse|
|Counselor Education Seminar: Promoting Social Change-Leadership|
|Substance Use and Substance Use Disorders|
|Motivation and Change: The Process of Change and Strategies to Elicit Intrinsic Motivation.|
|Legal Issues in Special Education|
|Autism: Strategies and Techniques|
|Research Seminar in Autism Spectrum Disorders|
|Minimum Total Hours||33|
Hallmark Assessment Task for EDSP 669 or equivalent project that demonstrates proficiency in the Advanced-Level Kentucky Teacher Standards.
Course project must address all of the Advanced-Level Kentucky Teacher Standards. Successful completion of portfolio.
A minimum of 15 credit hours of 600-level courses is required. Up to 15 credit hours of graduate credit may be transferred to the Rank I program, as long as the student will have completed 60 credit hours of approved graduate credit.
Including a master's degree at the end of the Rank I program: transfer credit must be officially accepted by the advisor and final acceptance is dependent upon receipt of official transcripts.
In the Rank I program at least 15 credit hours of new graduate coursework must be taken at the University of Louisville.
To complete the program, students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average. No credit shall be accepted for carrying a grade lower than a B-minus
Some courses are required for students completing the School Social Work Specialization and Rank I program.
This degree program sheet must be accompanied by a signed School Social Work specialization program sheet as well.
One of theses courses in the Diversity section must be completed for School Social Work Specialization
Courses are required for students completing the School Social Work Specialization and Rank I program.