Civil Engineering (MS)
This program can be completed in a traditional classroom format or entirely online.
The Master of Science (MS) degree program is intended for persons having an accredited baccalaureate degree in civil engineering. Students interested in the MS degree program should consult the Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Civil Engineering. The University of Louisville is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award master's degrees.
The program of study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy degree requirements. Additionally, the program of study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all academic work attempted in graduate studies.
The requirements for the Master of Science degree are discussed in more detail in the Degree Requirements section of this catalog.
The admission standards for the Master of Science program in Civil Engineering are as follows:
- All admission applications for the program shall include:
- A completed graduate application for the Graduate School,
- An application fee,
- At least two letters of recommendation, and
- Official transcript(s) for all previous post-secondary coursework. All transcripts not in English must be certified as authentic and translated verbatim into English.
- The minimum requirement for admission is the baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution.
- The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or above (on a 4.00 scale).
- International students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency by either TOEFL/IELTS score or demonstration of a degree award from an acceptable English language institution. The successful applicant will typically have a total TOEFL score of 80 or higher or overall IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
Remedial work may be specified for those applicants who, in the opinion of the faculty, do not have a sufficient background. The minimum curricular requirements for the master's degree program are:
|CEE Electives 1||18|
|Non-CEE Electives 1,2||6|
|Select one of the following:||6|
|Master of Science Thesis in Civil Engineering 3|
Technical Electives 1,2
|Minimum Total Hours||30|
The Master of Science degree must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy degree requirements. Additionally, the MS degree must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all academic work attempted in graduate studies.
Electives must be chosen so that at least one-half of the credits counted toward the degree, exclusive of thesis, are 600-level; at least fifteen (15) credit hours of coursework must be in CEE.
Technical Electives can be CEE or non-CEE courses. Technical Electives must be approved by the department.
For the thesis option, a student is required to select both an approved MS thesis topic and the director and members of the thesis committee during the first term of graduate study. The thesis director must give approval for enrollment in CEE 690.