Engineering Management (MEng)
This program can be completed in a traditional classroom format or entirely online.
The Department of Industrial Engineering of the J.B. Speed School of Engineering offers an online program in Engineering Management. The program is designed to build upon the mathematical and analytical expertise gained from prior engineering or related scientific education as well as upon his or her professional experience gained in the course of active engineering employment. The University of Louisville is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award master's degrees.
The J.B. Speed School of Engineering has established the following performance policies:
- The minimum grade point average requirement for good standing is 3.00 for all academic work completed while in graduate studies.
Any student with a cumulative graduate GPA below 3.00 will be placed on academic warning. Students on academic warning are limited to enrollment for thirteen (13) credit hours in a fall or spring semester and ten (10) credit hours for summer terms.
Students who do not bring their cumulative graduate GPA back at or above a 3.00 in the semester immediately following Academic Warning, will be placed on Academic Probation for the next semester of enrollment. Students on probation are limited to enrollment for thirteen (13) credit hours in a fall or spring semester and ten (10) credit hours for summer terms. Any student who remains in probationary status for two consecutive terms may be considered for dismissal from the program.
- Students receiving graduate assistantships (teaching, research or service) shall be provided adequate training and shall be required to understand and adhere to University policies related to these areas. The performance of teaching, research and service duties by such students shall be periodically evaluated. Students with teaching assistantships shall be evaluated annually.
- Students who fail to meet performance goals or who do not meet other requirements as outlined in the admission letter, program requirements or the university catalog may be subject to academic dismissal from their programs.
- A maximum of six hours of graduate level courses taken as an undergraduate may be used to satisfy MEng degree requirements; these courses cannot have been used to also satisfy BS degree requirements.
All graduate students are expected to make steady and satisfactory progress toward the completion of degrees. Students who are not enrolled for a period of more than 12 months will be considered to have withdrawn from the program. Students who seek to return after such a period of time must contact the graduate program director.
The following degree requirements are mandatory of all Master of Engineering candidates:
- The program of study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy degree requirements. Additionally, the program of study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all academic work attempted in graduate studies.
- Master's students must take at least 24 credit hours of coursework at the University of Louisville to satisfy the residency requirement for the master’s degree. A maximum of six (6) credit hours of graduate credit may be transferred from accredited institutions.
- The total requirements must be completed within six years after admission into graduate studies. The time limit imposed by the rule may be extended in individual cases upon recommendation of the department chair and approval of the associate dean for academic and student affairs.
The admission standards for the MEng program in engineering management are as follows:
- All admission applications for the program shall include:
- A completed application for University of Louisville graduate admission
- Application fee
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation
- Official transcript(s) for all previous post-secondary coursework. All transcripts not in English must be certified as authentic and translated verbatim into English.
- International students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency by either:
- Total score of 80 or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based test or 6.5 or higher on the IELTS, or
- Successful completion of the exit examination for the advanced level of Intensive English as a Second Language Program at the University of Louisville, or
- Demonstration of a degree award from an acceptable English language institution
The minimum requirement for admission is the Bachelor of Science degree or its equivalent in engineering or related scientific field from an accredited institution. The minimum undergraduate grade point average that will be considered for unconditional acceptance and admission to the program is 2.75 on a 4.00 scale.
Admission in good standing shall be made only if all admission credentials have been received, evaluated and approved and all academic requirements met. A student may be admitted provisionally if academic requirements are met but application materials are incomplete (usually missing letters of recommendation or official transcripts). Students have one semester to furnish any credentials missing at the time of admission and may not enroll for a second consecutive term in provisional status.
Any conditional acceptance shall be made on an individual basis and shall require a statement of the rationale for the exception, plans for monitoring progress and performance and stated success criteria. Such justification must be provided in writing and must be accepted by the program chair and the Speed School associate dean for academic affairs. This will allow consideration of special circumstances in which the potential for acceptable graduate performance has been clearly demonstrated by other means.
The Master of Engineering in Engineering Management degree requires the following courses.
|EM 613||Operations Management 2||3|
|EM 661||Engineering Statistics II||3|
|EM Electives 1||15|
|Technical Electives 1||9|
|Minimum Total Hours||30|
Candidates for the Master of Engineering degree must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy degree requirements.
Additionally, the master of engineering degree must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all academic work attempted in graduate studies. A maximum of six (6) credit hours of graduate level courses taken as an undergraduate may be used to satisfy MEng degree requirements; these courses should not have been used to also satisfy BS degree requirements.
Electives must be chosen so that at least one-half of the credits counted toward the degree, are 600-level. Technical Electives may be taken within or outside the Department and up to six (6) credit hours may be from Business Administration programs. All selections require the approval of the student's faculty advisor.
Students with a Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering may replace EM 613 with any other EM Elective course.