Certified School Counselor (RANK1)
Unit: College of Education and Human Development (GE)
Department: Counseling and Human Development
Academic Plan Code(s): CPS_RK1CSC
Rank 1 programs are not degree programs.
Rank 1 programs are planned graduate-level programs designed for Kentucky educators seeking rank change for salary purposes. They are recognized only in the state of Kentucky. By state regulation, Rank 1 status is 60 credit hours of approved graduate credit, including a master's degree.
Graduates of the University of Louisville MEd in Counseling and Personnel Services program, with a concentration School Guidance Counseling, are eligible to pursue this Rank 1 program.
Candidates who have completed a master’s degree in School Guidance Counseling from other institutions must provide documentation, before applying for admission, that they have completed the requirements leading to the provisional and standard certificates in Kentucky.
Students may apply to the program by first going to the Graduate School website. Admission requirements include the following credentials:
- Official transcripts with a GPA of 2.75 in the bachelor's degree and a GPA of 3.0 in the master's degree
- Kentucky certification as a School Counselor
- For international students, TOEFL (students holding a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an accredited institution in the U.S. are exempt from this requirement.)
Applicants who have attended a college or university outside of the United States are also required to submit an evaluation of their transcript through either WES (World Education Services) or ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators). Please note that transcript evaluations can sometimes take several weeks.
Please have transcripts sent to:
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
If transcripts are sent electronically, please have them sent to the following email: email@example.com
Please contact the Director of Graduate Student Services in the Education Advising and Student Services Office for more information at (502) 852-5597.
Rank 1 Program in Certified School Counseling (P-12)
|Select one of the following:|
|ELFH 600||Introduction to Research Methods and Statistics||3|
|or EDAP 639||Education Research in P-12 Setting|
|Advocacy (Professional Leader)|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Learning Systems: Theory and Practice|
|Assessment Methods for Counselors|
|Developing Collaborative Groups: Facilitating, Coaching and Mentoring|
|Research in Infancy and Early Childhood|
|Group Process and Practice|
|Select one of the following:||3|
|Using Assessment to Improve Student Achievement|
|Instructional Strategies for Diverse Learners|
|Literacy Learning and Cultural Differences|
|Introduction to Gifted Education|
|Multicultural and Diversity Issues|
|Area of Emphasis|
|Select at least 12 credit hours; may be chosen from courses above that are NOT taken to meet the Advocacy requirement||12|
|Select 9 credit hours from the following: 1||9|
|Introduction to Educational Technology: Integrating Technology into Instruction|
|Introduction to Clinical Mental Health Counseling|
|Differential Diagnosis and Treatment in Counseling|
|Graduate Seminar in Educational and Counseling Psychology|
|Advanced Counseling Seminar|
|Introduction to Exceptional Children|
|Applied Behavior Analysis|
|Topical Seminar in College Student Personnel Services|
|Social Work and Human Sexuality|
|Death & Grief|
|Introduction to Family Therapy Practice|
|Motivation and Change: The Process of Change and Strategies to Elicit Intrinsic Motivation.|
|Special Issues in Alcohol and Drug Counseling|
|Substance Use and Substance Use Disorders|
|Prior Master's degree in School Counseling 2||30|
|Minimum Total Hours||60|
A portfolio is required for successful completion of this program.
- The candidate for Rank 1 should hold a School Counseling certificate and a master's degree in School Counseling which includes the requirements leading to both provisional and standard licensure.
- The Rank 1 classification shall require the completion of 60 credit hours of approved graduate level credit including a master's degree2.
- Candidates will plan the Rank 1 program in consultation with a faculty advisor in the ECPY Department prior to enrolling in Rank 1 courses.
- Of the total number of hours on the Rank 1 program, at least 15 credit hours beyond the master's degree must be taken at the University of Louisville. The remaining credit hours may be taken at the University of Louisville, or upon approval of the faculty advisor, at other institutions. There is no stipulation as to recency of completion of Rank 1 credit.
- All coursework for Rank 1 must carry graduate credit, and no less than half must be earned in courses open only to graduate students.
- An academic average of 3.0 is required on the course hours submitted for Rank 1, and no credit will be accepted for courses carrying a grade lower than C.
- The resulting School Counseling certification will include grades P-12.
- A portfolio is required for successful completion of this program.
Independent Study or Directed Readings may be included as approved by faculty advisor; also courses in the Advocacy section may be used here as long as they have NOT been taken in the Advocacy or Area of Emphasis sections
If the master's degree is more than 30 credit hours, the number of credit hours a student needs to complete Rank 1 may be fewer than 30 additional credit hours.