Couple and Family Therapy (MS)


Admission Requirements

Applications to the Master of Science in CFT program must include the following:

  • Completed Graduate School application and application fee
  • Earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
  • Two recommendations from former instructors or supervisors
  • Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
  • Family of Origin paper (a description of formative experiences in one’s family)
  • Professional Statement (a description of career goals and reasons for seeking this degree)
  • Overall GPA of 3.0 recommended; applicants with incoming GPAs under 3.0 must submit an addendum discussing gaps or deficiencies in applicant’s academic record. Include planned strategies for maintaining the required 3.0 in Graduate School.

For additional information, please contact or go to the CFT webpage here.

Program Requirements

Standards set by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE).

To graduate with the MS in CFT, students must complete all required coursework and meet the following standards:

  • Complete the program within 4 years of beginning coursework
  • Minimum GPA of 3.0 at program completion
  • Minimum of 500 client contact hours
  • Minimum of 200 relational hours
  • Minimum 50 raw (audio, video, or live) supervision hours
  • No more than two (six credit hours) C grades in the MSCFT program

Typically, credit from a maximum of four courses may be transferred in from other master's degree programs upon approval by Director.

Program Coursework

MSSW 601Human Behavior in the Social Environment I3
MSSW 603Diversity, Oppression, and Social Justice Practice3
MSSW 619Human Behavior in the Social Environment II3
MSSW 626Research Methodology and Design3
MSSW 633Social Work and Human Sexuality3
MSSW 642Psychopathology3
MCFT 700Foundations of Couple and Family Therapy: Theory and Practice3
MCFT 701Family Therapy Assessment and Treatment in Diverse Populations3
MCFT 702Couple Therapy: Theory and Practice3
MCFT 703Contemporary Issues, Community Intersections & Collaborations in CFT3
MCFT 704Integrating Family Therapy: Theory and Practice3
MCFT 705Professional Issues & Ethics in Couple & Family Therapy3
MCFT 706Foundations of Couple and Family Therapy: Theory and Practice II3
MCFT 710Couple and Family Therapy Practicum I1
MCFT 711Couple and Family Therapy Practicum II1
MCFT 712Couple and Family Therapy Practicum III2
MCFT 713Couple and Family Therapy Practicum IV1
MCFT 714Couple and Family Therapy Practicum V1
MCFT 721Family Therapy Supervision I3
MCFT 722Family Therapy Supervision II3
MCFT 723Family Therapy Supervision III3
MCFT 724Family Therapy Supervision IV3
MCFT 725Family Therapy Supervision V3
Minimum Total Hours60

For additional information, please contact or go to the CFT webpage here

Concentration Coursework

Students interested in pursuing an optional concentration in Alcohol and Drug Counseling complete nine (9) credit hours of coursework in addition to the 60 credit hours of core program coursework.

Alcohol and Drug Counseling Concentration Coursework

MSSW 660Motivation and Change: The Process of Change and Strategies to Elicit Intrinsic Motivation.3
MSSW 661Special Issues in Alcohol and Drug Counseling3
MSSW 662Substance Use and Substance Use Disorders3
Minimum Total Hours9

MSCFT students completing a concentration in Alcohol and Drug Counseling will complete their advanced-year CFT practicum in a specialized setting working with populations affected by substance abuse.

For additional information, please contact or go to the CFT webpage here.

The Master of Science in Couple and Family Therapy program and the concentration in Alcohol and Drug Counseling prepares students to meet the requirements for certification and/or licensure.  If you plan to pursue professional licensure or certification you should first determine your state’s criteria for examination and licensure to see how/if our program meets those requirements prior to enrollment. We recommend that you also contact your state’s licensing board directly to verify that the requirements have not changed recently and to answer any questions especially those regarding additional requirements beyond the degree. 

More information about certification or licensure is available at the following website: (you may search by school or by the name of the program then click on 'View Details' to display the information).

For programs with an online option, more information about certification or licensure is available here: (please scroll down near the bottom of the page and click on the licensing disclosures tab).