Electrical Engineering (MS)
This program can be completed in a traditional classroom format or entirely online.
The MS degree program is intended for persons having an accredited baccalaureate degree in Electrical Engineering, but is available to those with other backgrounds. Applicants with other backgrounds should plan on taking some undergraduate background coursework. Students interested in the MS degree program should consult the Director of Graduate Studies in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The University of Louisville is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award master's degrees.
The program of study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all graduate courses used to satisfy degree requirements. Additionally, the program of study must be completed with a 3.00 GPA or better for all academic work attempted in graduate studies.
The requirements for the Master of Science degree are discussed in more detail in the Degree Requirements section of this catalog.
The admission standards for the master of science program in electrical engineering are as follows:
- All admission applications for the program shall include:
- A completed graduate application for the Graduate School,
- An application fee,
- At least two letters of recommendation, and
- Official transcript(s) for all previous post-secondary coursework. All transcripts not in English must be certified as authentic and translated verbatim into English.
- The minimum requirement for admission is the baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution.
- The successful applicant will typically have an undergraduate grade point average of 3.00 or above (on a 4.00 scale).
- International students whose primary language is not English must show English language proficiency by either TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo score or demonstration of a degree awarded from an acceptable English language institution. The successful applicant will typically have a TOEFL score of 80 or higher or overall IELTS score of 6.5 or higher or a Duolingo score of 105 or higher.
Remedial work may be specified for those applicants who, in the opinion of the faculty, do not have a sufficient background.
The minimum curricular requirements for the master's program are:
|ECE Electives 1,2||15|
|Technical Electives 1,2||9|
|Select one of the following:||6|
|Thesis or Paper Option|
|Master of Science Thesis or Paper in Electrical Engineering 3|
|Master of Science Advanced Level Independent Project 4|
ECE Electives 1
ECE Electives 1
|Minimum Total Hours||30|
Electives must be chosen so that at least one-half of the credits counted toward the degree, exclusive of thesis, are 600-level; at least fifteen (15) credit hours of coursework must be in ECE.
Technical Electives can be ECE or non-ECE courses. Technical Electives must be approved by the department.
For the thesis/paper option, a student is required to select both an approved MS thesis/paper topic and the director and members of the thesis/paper committee during the first term of Graduate Studies. The thesis/paper director must give approval for enrollment in ECE 690.
Must include a course from a list of approved research/project courses, maintained by the Department.